Saturday, May 23, 2015

Happy Birthday, Karen!


To my friend, Karen.  Which of us is the crazy one?  lol...




"By associating with the cat (or with a good friend), one only risks becoming richer."
                                                                                 --------Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette

Hi, Friends.....

I am here with a birthday card for my crafty friend, Karen Ladd.  Happy Birthday!!  

 


I am entering this into Jennifer Grace's Focus Your Craft and Soul blog event challenge since I was inspired by her post about Framing a Sentiment.  








I dug around in my stash and found some frames from Fancy Pants - Beloved collection that would work.  Well, then I couldn't just frame the sentiment....I had to make a shaker, too!!  :)  


I filled it with sequins and some of my little glass beads that I use for mixed media art journal pages....yes, literally "filled" it.  lol...  I put it together and you couldn't even read the sentiment because of all the sequins and beads.  Hahahaha!!!  My second attempt worked better.  :)


I used a scrap of patterned paper to angle onto the card base, but felt like it needed something more.  So I pulled out a doily and flowers.  I was laying this all out before gluing anything on, when I decided to stencil the white card base with a thrift store stencil and some Simon Says Stamp - Sea Glass Ink.  I love the pretty, but subtle look!


A big fluffy chiffon bow finished it all off.  This bow probably will get crushed in the mail....so, Karen, here's a close up of it before it gets a once-over by the postal rugby team.  :)


Bonus:  this turned out to be a stash-busting card since so many things came from thrift stores or had been lurking in my stash for some time!

Hope everyone enjoyed seeing my card for Karen.  Happy Birthday, again, my friend!!  Hugs!!!

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1. Jennifer Grace Creates - Challenge to be Inspired Linky Party
2. Eureka Stamps Challenge #141 - Shaker Cards
3. Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Stencil It
4. Tombow May Flowers Challenge 
5. The Paper Girls Challenge - It's Party Time

12 comments:

  1. Woweee!!!!! Let me begin by saying that I want to be the flying kitty in your accompanying cat poster...but I would venture to say that we are probably both a little bit crazy...and that's a GOOD thing!!! Secondly, you knew I wouldn't be able to resist taking a peek at this card even before it hit my mailbox...and it is oh so out-of-this-world amazing!! Love that you stuffed that shaker so full that you had to perform bead-removal surgery on it before it even left your craft table, and I can't wait to drive everyone crazy by shaking it every chance I get..woo hoo! You did a wonderful job of layering all those patterned papers and shapes and the white flowers balance out that gorgeous fluffy bow perfectly. I can't wait to see it in person and I thank you so much for helping me celebrate my birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehehe....I was emailing you while you were commenting. :)

      Oh.....you are sooooooooo going to love the sound of those beads rattling around in this shaker card....although nobody else will. lol... They make a much more satisfying noise than sequins alone!! :)

      I should have taken a picture of the shaker portion before I had to remove most of the contents. I am so serious that the sentiment truly was obscured. It was just so funny that I couldn't resist including the tale in my post!! Of course I tried just lifting a corner and pouring out some of the beads and sequins, but it looked like one of my cats had tried to break into it so I finally ended up restamping a new back panel and starting over. Hehehehe....

      Thanks for liking your card and Happy Birthday, again!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lis!!! :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Great job! Your card is wonderful and I am thrilled that you entered our challenge at Eureka Stamps. Please join us again. Karal DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karal!! It was fun to make a shaker card again. It had been a little while. I appreciate your visit and nice comment!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Lots of great details and I like the framed shaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue!! It was a lot of fun to make!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. awesome birthday card! i am sure she loved it :) Thank you for playing a long with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you muchly, Jenn! I appreciate you stopping by on your rounds!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. Brilliant idea to use it as a shaker item too! Love it that you filled it up too much the first time, sounds like something I would do. Thank you so much for joining in with the FYC&S challenge! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous gorgeous layering and shaker. This card is a celebration itself! Thanks for playing along with my challenge at PaperGirls!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis